Monday, August 25, 2008

Built Like a Frigerator with a Head?

So lately I've been thinking a lot about roller derby girls. Yes, Jim Croce has something to do with it, with his strangely apt representation of an inexplicable attractiveness of a really rough-and-tumble woman. (Lately a couple that got away have been drifting through my mind--women I was just not tough enough to handle. I regret not having tried a little harder.)

But part of it is also their advertising. I mean, you see something like this on a lamppost

and it's hard not to think, hey, that looks cool.

There's a lot of roller derby clubs around, and they all seem to have a distinct graphic style.





And the ladies are not as scary as you might think (okay, so some of them are):

Mostly, it seems like a fun curiosity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the only thing cooler than roller derby around here right now is kickball.

I haven't seen a roller derby yet. But I will! One day, I will!

Anonymous said...

How has Lawrence not jumped on the roller derby bandwagon yet?!?! Perhaps the violent nature of the "sport" doesn't sit well with the more peaceful vibe of the local hipsters.

Anonymous said...

That's right. But it's a hit with the KC and Topeka bruisers and rockabilly chicks!