Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Geek Power and the Rise of the Redheads


As I said before, for a longtime Hollywood & American as a whole was caught up in the blonde/brunette dichotomy. Occasionally, redheads would make a splash (Rita Hayworth (note the tiger behind her) or Ann-Margret, for example) but for the most part they were considered comedic and didn't really register as sex symbols.

Then in 1988, things began to change. This was the year Angie Everhart hit the scene in all her redheaded glory. She is considered by some to be the first "supermodel," and she was the first redhead ever to grace the cover of Glamour magazine. Apocryphally, she had been told that "Redheads don't sell," by the head of a modeling agency. Well, they didn't, but suddenly they were about to.

The same year, Geena Davis was allowed to be her redheaded sexy self in Earth Girls Are Easy. Sure it's a comedic role, but she wouldn't have been cast if the director wasn't sure she'd excite the audience appearing in a bikini in the movie's opening sequence. She really is hot in all her nipply see-through bikini glory, but here she is as Odette the Brunette "vampire," since I know that's what everybody's into these days.


Coincidentally, in 1988 I was dating my first redhead. An Irish girl with pale, freckly skin. She had long, wavy, thick red-brown hair. She was short and curvaceous. I fell hard and she broke my heart into at least a million tiny pieces. Every now and then I'll step on one in some unswept and unexpected corner of my memory. They are tiny but sharp.

For the public at large, the redheaded sex symbol had arrived. Tori Amos broke out as a sexy singer/songwriter in 1992 (Suzanne Vega had of course released her significant Solitude Standing album in '87, but didn't quite make it as a sex symbol (yet?)). In 1993, Gillian Anderson hit the scene as agent Dana Scully in The X-Files. Also in 1993, Julianne Moore definitively broke out of soap opera hell with a bit part in The Fugitive and her bush-baring appearance in Short Cuts, really the only reason to see the movie. She boldly stood on the camera without her skirt on, showing off the bright orange of her cedarn cover, all the while carrying on a heated argument with her onscreen husband. She confirmed that redheads are indeed fiery and indomitable, and that it makes them all the sexier. When she followed this up with The Big Lebowski, she went one further, showing that redheads are smart, too, and that smart can be sexy.

To be fair, I ought to give props to Nicole Kidman and her turn as the sexy damsel in distress in Dead Calm in 1989. Yeah, she was a redhead then.

Since 1993 we've had a regular stream of redheaded sex symbols like Lindsay Lohan, Amy Adams, and of course songstresses Jenny Lewis and Neko Case.

But what allowed for this sea change? Molly Ringwold made a splash in the early to mid-80s with her brat-pack shtick, and as the cute ragamuffin sidekick in Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (okay, so this contributed essentially zero to her fame, but in elementary school I couldn't go see the movie, but I remember my best friend describing it, and it seemed sexy at the time. Of course, we did have a tendency to exaggerate the naughty bits.), but by '86 she had pretty much evaporated and never quite made the transition to mature stardom.

What she had done, though, is capture the heart of "The Geek" incarnate in two subsequent films. And if we look at the redheads making their way into mainstream sex-symbol status, the majority of them are "geek" icons. I think this holds true, even to this day.

Why are geeks more likely to love the redheads? Well, traditionally, redheads are
  • Free-spirited
  • Fickle
  • Strong-willed
  • Smart
Many of which most guys hate, but which geeks embrace. Strong-willed, smart women? Geeks love 'em. After all, somebody has to make the first move and know what to do in the sack!

Long before they went mainstream, geeks have been in love with redheads. Mary Jane Watson has been the love of Peter Parker's life since the 60s, and the redheaded sex mutant Jean Grey has been wowing the comic book world since shortly thereafter.

Unless he can muster up some form of superpower, though, the redheads, like all the other girls, go to the hunk in the end.

11 comments:

fire in the hole! said...

Thank you, sir, for that stunning picture of Ms. Hayworth, and for reminding me of my undying love (I may forget her now and again, but she'll always be with me) for Ms. Everhart. Pedestrian terms like "stunner" and "bombshell" don't begin to do her justice.

And wasn't the daughter on that bad WB show where Bobcat Goldthwait played a talking stuffed bunny...wasn't she redheaded? I remember her being, in the words of Josh Hartnett's character from The Virgin Suicides, "A stone fox."

Perhaps geeks were drawn to redheads because they felt a certain kinship in the marginalization of redheads compared to the more acclaimed blondes and brunettes. Misfits unite!

And you've only scratched the surface of the allure of red pubic hair...

amy adams and laura prepon said...

Let's not forget about Isla Fisher, previously discussed on the LC!

Dr. Candelaria said...

This "Dr. C" should do a little evidence before he spouts off. He forgot to include evidence that redheads are more evolved than blondes and brunettes.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070524155313.htm

return fire said...

Now that you mention it, maybe I will have to do a piece on the fire down below.

you mean coitus? said...

You forgot to mention the legendary redheaded comedienne, Lucille Ball.

Also, Mad Men's Joan Holloway (“I like redheads. Their mouths are like a drop of strawberry jam in a glass of milk.”--Sterling).

And where's that redhead that used to party with us in Larryville?! I await her responses.

Altman defender said...

Also, such a cruel slam on Shortcuts!

I didn't forget said...

Lucille Ball is part of the "traditional comedic redheads" that I was referring to.

I love that Mad Men quote. Hendricks was in my mind, but didn't make it to the page.

Here's a great overview of redhead celebs, out of Nashville, of all places:

http://www.wsmv.com/slideshow/entertainment/14320831/detail.html

mean sober said...

I've seen SHORT CUTS twice. The first time I hated it, but mostly remembered Moore. Over time, the memory made me think: maybe that movie isn't so bad. So I watched it again. I didn't hate it the second time, but felt it was a waste of 2.5 hours of my life. The other half hour was okay.

Mindi said...

I'm glad that this particular wordsmith saved the best for last.

I'm glad geeks like redheads, though, because I certainly think geeks (and nerds, but maybe not dorks?) are pretty great. I will say though, Samantha made the right choice choosing Jake Ryan over Farmer Ted, and besides, FT got the hot (maybe hot?) blonde.

I also just want to support the idea that redheads are beautiful! I think it's all in the pale skin...just see what You Mean Coitus (aka Roger Sterling, aka Noggle) noted about Joan Holloway.

Anonymous said...

Of course, they don't have it all:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/30/redhead.pain.dentist/index.html

A bizarre linking of traits.

man about town said...

For those of us looking for local bombshell redheads, I recommend Lousie's West, where a stunning (and stunningly tall) redhead works behind the bar. If you're lucky (and a swimmer), you can also catch her at swimming laps at the Lawrence Aquatic Center every now and then. Behold, red goodness!