Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Like Nothing Better than a Pretty Girl's Smile

A woman's smile, a genuine eyes-and-mouth smile, has always been one of my greatest pleasures. It's also one of the hardest things to describe. One part of my job is to try and put these things in words, and I recently had a chance while writing an article on the top celebrity smiles according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry's 2008 survey. These women are from their survey, and I certainly don't agree with the choices, but technically, they're interesting.

Eva Mendes









Eva Mendes has a very modest smile, more lips than teeth. It's a wry smile, which seems to try too hard to be sexy, I think. I think that sometimes showing too many teeth can be a detriment to your smile, but I don't think she looks happy in most of her pics. Like about 70 % of people, she has a standard Mona Lisa smile, in which the corners of the mouth raise first before the lips part to reveal the teeth, and she uses it in its more subtle forms, which is more easily done by people with a Mona Lisa smile than with other types. A subtle cuspid smile (as I learned recently watching Julie Andrews, who has a very pronounced smile of that type) can look tired or angry. And since Mendes has full BJ lips helps the subtle smile is apparently very effective (not to mention her hot, tight ass).

Anne Hathaway














I've never been much of an Anne Hathaway fan, but I have to say this picture gained her a few points with me. She was voted second best celebrity smile of 2008 and also has a very pronounced Mona Lisa smile that emphasizes her plump lips and broad face, but it's not really her smile I like in this picture. She tends to smile broadly often in photo shoots. Hathaway has the characteristic traits of a sexy smile, with the prominent central incisors that indicate youth.

Kate Hudson





As if just for Nog, they chose Kate Hudson as the 3rd best celebrity smile. She's another Mona Lisa smiler, which kind of surprises me. I would've expected that the rarer smile types, especially the complex smile (which tends to open up in all directions all at once, like Marilyn Monroe's), would be more popular. Hers is the most genuine, enticing, and everywoman smile of the three. She shows a lot of teeth, which makes it very easy to note the prominence of her central incisors, which contribute to the youthful sexiness of her smiles. Also, the style of her smile promotes her teeth, which are attractive, and reduces attention on her lips, which are thinner and less enticing than some other women's.






I'll talk more about what I personally look for in a smile later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, while I don't approve of Hudson's recent film choices, I'll always be fond of Penny Lane!

It's definitely hard to concentrate on the smiles in those first two photos!

Anonymous said...

Why did Anne Hathaway even bother with a shirt in that picture...?

Dr. C said...

Probably to keep from being arrested. I personally like her wardrobe choice . . .