Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Revisiting the Issue of Hair


I've talked bfore about my personal preferences when it comes to pubic hair, but here's an interesting post on the subject from one of my favorite blogs to support, although not necessarily to read.


Beauty and the Breast is an anti-cosmetic surgery blog written by a number of women, at least one of which has had a botched breast augmentation. I say botched in that it didn't go the way she wanted it, not that it was performed especially badly. The truth is that about a third of all breast implant operations go awry. Many times it's just that they don't look right, but in other cases the complications can be really serious. Anyway, the women write about a lot of issues related to body image, which is something very dear to my heart because I have known so many beautiful women (including my wife) who have a very bad body image.


This post on pubic hair is interesting because it really gets down to the follicle of the matter: why do women think men want them to be hairless? Why, in fact, do women feel compelled to remove all their hair elsewhere as well? I've read some interesting reasearch on the subject, and it seems like most women start hair removal in their pre-teen years, and most of them can't identify the cause of their desire to do it. In the majority of cases, it is not parental pressure, or even perceived peer pressure that makes women remove their hair. Women report the cause to be a desire to be or feel "sexier," in some vague way. This means that they have internalized images of hairless women's bodies so that they perceive they are doing it for themselves.


I'm not saying I want women to stop epilating altogether (I like smooth legs as much as the next guy), but I think women should take control of their issue and evaluate what they're doing and why.

No comments: