Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Catsuits in Science Fiction


Surely you've all seen this super-hot promo poster for Iron Man 2, featuring Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow in the skin-tight "catsuit." Although I hope it does not betoken so horrible a movie as her equally (if not more) sexy promos for The Spirit, I couldn't help but be as excited about it as everybody else, and looking at pics of some older catsuit costumes I realized how common the image is in science fiction. In fact, a little research revealed that of the 50 Sexiest Costumes list assembled at Den of Geek, a full 17 of them were catsuits, including Johansson's uninspiring outfit for The Island. (Rumor has it that she wanted to wear a really sexy costume--i.e. go topless--but Michael Bay talked her out of it. I don't think I believe that, but I'm always looking for new reasons to cast scorn and ignominy on his head.) 17: More than one-third. More than leotards, bikinis, loincloths, and togas combined.

If you took a look over there, you might object, "Hey, those are jumpsuits!" Which begs the question of the distinction. Frankly, as near as I can figure, the only real distinction is that catsuits are skin tight, while jumpsuits are a little loose. But if we're honest with ourselves we'll admit that even the most unassumingly baggy jumpsuit on a male actor somehow becomes skin-tight for his female co-stars, with the net effect of every jumpsuit becoming a catsuit, and that we like it that way.

So, first a few of my favorites, then an explanation for why they are so common.

See more in my posts on redheads, superheroines, catwoman, and humans and aliens in sci-fi.

And an incidental pinup from my favorite contemporary pinup artist, Andrew Bawidamann, who may be slowly turning into a crazed neo-Nazi gun-nut, I don't know, but I do know he still draws some pretty sweet chicks.
Now, why catsuits/jumpsuits are so popular in science fiction. Part of it is, I believe, a way for moviemakers to have their cake and eat it too, to simultaneously say, "Look, the women are liberated" (they're wearing pants), while still putting everything on display. Also, unlike loincloths, bikinis, and togas, jumpsuits are not reminiscent of any prior era, making them more able to be "futuristic." Unless, of course, you count the 70's, during which time they probably thought they were on the cusp of something really big. ("It's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.")

3 comments:

here kitty kitty said...

Yeah, surely not even Bay could be so stupid as to discourage a topless Scarlett Jo scene.

Dr. C said...

On the one hand, yes, I'd probably agree, but on the other hand, how many Michael Bay movies have nudity in them? None that I've seen, although they do like to toy with that angle. And it was right at the time in her career when she might very well have done it . . . and now, well, it'll probably never happen.

Anonymous said...

It is an ill bird that fouls its own nest.